American Idol to End After 15 Seasons

Ryan Seacrest american idol

One of television’s most popular and successful shows of all time is being canceled. ‘American Idol,’ the king of reality television, and the inspiration for countless shows such as ‘The Voice,’ and ‘X Factor,’ has announced that it’s next, fifteenth season will be it’s final season.

Fox Announced on Monday, May 11, that the show will return in January 2016 for a farewell season. Jennifer Lopez, Keith Urban, and Harry Connick, Jr. will return as judges for the panel on the final season, and of course, it will be hosted by Ryan Seacrest.

Fox Networks Group co-chief Gary Newman released a statement explaining, that it was “not an easy decision.” He goes onto say, “we all felt collectively it was time to bring American Idol to an end. The final season will be a true season-long celebration.” He goes onto say that they producers and writers are currently looking for different surprises to make the last season of American Idol one to remember. Newman asserts that he wants the farewell to be as “significant as the run it had on our network.”

Rumors of the end of American Idol have been surfacing for a couple of years now, but as the years passed by, the rumors increased. Many people believed that the current season of American Idol would be the last, so the announcement does not come as a shock for many.

Ryan Seacrest, the only personality from the series premiere who remains, recently issued a statement expressing his thoughts on the series finale.

He says, “American Idol has been a big part of my life for so long, it’s frankly hard to imagine ti without it. It’s been a remarkable journey, and I feel very fortunate to have been part of a show that made television history in countless ways. It’s a show about chasing and fulfilling dreams, and truth be told, it helped some of my own dreams come true too…The last season will undoubtedly be a special and emotional one, but first I’m looking forward to closing out Season 14. The finale is always my favorite part. Two live shows with lots of surprises, and, of course, one winner!

There you have it! Are you sad to see American Idol end, or do you think it was time to retire the series anyway? What surprises would you like to see for the final season of American Idol? Let us know in the comments below.

Images Via Fame/Flynet

1. Ruth Grubbs says

I have been a loyal fan of American Idol since the second season. It’s gone through some ups and downs during the years, but the finale is always exciting. I will be sorry to see it go.

2. Ruth Grubbs says

3. Summer says

WHAT!?? I love American i dol! It can’t end!

4. Summer says

WHAT!?? I love American i dol! It can’t end!

5. Christina says

It’s really sad canceling American Idol. Many, many people look forward to watching the show.
    American Idol has brought forth so much talant and made many dreams come true.
    I think if the show would cut out the beginning process of showing all the bad ones, that in itself would save time and money.
    Now where are the people going to go to get recognizd?
    This is a person’s talant, unlike other reality shows that’s not really real……
    It’s really amazing that some cartoons for the older ones will be on the air more years than Idol.
    Most likely, the judges and host and people behind the scene want more money,. There again it’s sad…money is the root of all evil!
    So for what it’s worth….I want American Idol to STAY !!!!

6. Christina says

American Idol has brought forth so much talant and made many dreams come true.
    Now where are the people going to go to get recognizd?
    This is a person’s talant, unlike other reality shows that’s not really real……
    So for what it’s worth….I want American Idol to STAY !!!!